Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Politics – the scourge of best practice

How many times I have witnessed the damage that politics, coming in all shapes and sizes, wreaks on organisations large and small, be they private sector, public sector or ‘not for profit’. I have been known to bracket politics with dishonesty and hidden agendas as the root cause of countless dysfunctional organisations.

Yet there were extraordinary scenes at Stormont today where avowed enemies are finally coming together to work for the good of Northern Ireland. That is only possible with politics. So what is happening here? Have I been wrong about politics all these years? I certainly don’t understand politics; I just cannot see how it can play a part in organisations needing to develop and sustain competitive advantage in a knowledge world, certainly not at the operational level.

I guess that most organisations just haven’t got time to wait twenty years for the top players to sort themselves out. The Northern Ireland thing is amazing, nonetheless.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home