Sunday, May 20, 2007

Negotiating nous

You can cut a deal that you claim to be win : win, but in fact you know, deep down, that it is win : lose. When this happens the gain is nearly always short term.

I used to be a buyer. Years ago I bought the bubbles in Strongbow, the leading cider brand at the time. Using a matrix that I had designed I could see the true value of spending one pound, when you included trade discount, settlement discount and length of credit. No salesperson can work this stuff out in their head if they don’t have the matrix; I saved the company a lot of money.

I don’t use the matrix any more. Somehow I prefer deals that rely much more on word of mouth, a handshake and a smile. The better the quality of relationships you have with colleagues, stakeholders and customers, the better will be the performance of your business.

You don’t get this result if everything boils down to a number.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home