Sunday, February 18, 2007

Mentoring magic

All top people need a mentor. It doesn’t matter what you do or who you are, working with a trusted expert is the fastest and the most effective way to improve your performance.

I started professional speaking a couple of years ago as a new route to market for my consultancy services. My mentor is one of the top business and motivational speakers in the UK, if not the world. He wanted to know why I don’t convert more of my talks into business referrals than I do.

After one hours’ conversation, here are some of his answers:
· You are currently giving too much information away so that people form the impression that they can do the work without you.
· Your stories are very powerful but some of them will frighten people and when they are thinking about booking you, that is what they will remember.
· You need to engage people more emotionally with your process as it affects them now.
· You are speaking and then pitching, you need to change the emphasis to pitching as well as speaking.
· It is a very fine line between giving a great talk with people booking you, and giving a great talk and no one booking you. You are wrong side of the line!

How come I couldn’t work all this out for myself? Because I am no different from you. No one can do it on their own. That’s why one and one needs to make three or even four. This is the clue to innovation and creativity.

Innovation and creativity are the clue to developing and sustaining competitive advantage in the knowledge economy!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home