Sunday, October 18, 2009

First position


No matter how hard we try we can often only see our business and ourselves from first position. It takes usually someone else to make a point or two that can help us on our journey.

I’ve been writing blogs now for some three years and people often comment in one way or another. This week one female reader wrote:

“You write well and I always enjoyed reading your mailings. What has stood out for me recently is a sense of disillusionment, cynicism and irritation. And I was rather surprised as it wasn't something I'd noticed in your previous postings which had felt encouraging, optimistic, insightful in a positive way.”

So I went back over the last few months writing and part of my reply was:

“It all feels good at this end Lynn, just had a week in Italy, done lots of fishing recently. The only thing I can think of to match your analysis is that if I had one mentor, one ‘guru’ that I would aspire to be like, it is Alan Weiss
http://www.summitconsulting.com And he is brutal. He is a brilliant speaker and consultant and I agree with just about everything he says, writes and does.

So yes I am trying to toughen up my act with clients, bureaus and time wasters, ‘cos I am now 60 and there isn’t time to mess about with idiots or well meaning buffoons. This does not mean that I don’t care or can’t find time and energy for people that need help, it just means that I am perhaps more discriminating, more assertive, more needing to make a difference where difference is needed.”

So, thank you Lynn, and everyone that writes because it is always helpful to get a ‘second position’ perspective on what we do. First position is not enough.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home