Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Marketing for suckers


Each and every business today needs to use effective, and that means modern, marketing techniques to differentiate itself from the competition.

We recently needed a break. We are old enough and ugly enough to know that however much you enjoy your work, you need to occasionally stop and ‘sharpen the saw’.

One Tuesday in August we went online to find something for the Friday. Almost immediately we spotted Warner’s three day weekends, but you had to be over twenty one. “Brilliant marketing” I exclaimed. “Over twenty one? No kids! No teenagers! Oh, bring it on.”

So Friday morning we threw some luggage into the car, gave the children their written instructions: no booze, no smoking, no more than two friends round, no sex, no sleepovers but please feed the fish. We waved them a cheery goodbye and off we galloped to Bodelwyddan Castle, North Wales.

Checking in before me was an old chap supported by a Zimmer frame and I was patient and courteous for the necessary twenty minutes or so. Towards the completion of his registration I was aware of a light tugging at my elbow. The gentleman behind wanted to share with me the fact that he would be 90 years old in October. I felt the need for a drink even though it was still quite early in the day. But everywhere I turned, looking for the bar, were these antiseptic gels mounted on stands with big red lettering warnings. At dinner we were advised that you keep the table, and your new neighbours for the duration of the stay. Halfway through the starter I was aware that an elderly lady on my left was looking at me. I smiled and looked away but not before I noticed that she was dribbling her soup down her front.

I leaned forward to Sharon and whispered I’ve got to get out. I want to go back to Hereford. “Impossible,” she said, “we’ve already paid. It did say ‘no kids’.”

Back home three days later and it was the children’s turn to give us a cheery wave together with a polite enquiry about our weekend. My answer was brief and to the point. Alistair, our seventeen year old could not disguise a smirk as he hissed “Suckers.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home