Monday, June 22, 2009

The Striker

If every Managing Director in the land knew how to add most value to their business, and then got on with it, this would be worth a full 1% to the GNP of the UK.

“Don’t you just hate ordinary days?” A business owner complained to me.

“Oh, I just don’t like the ‘grunt work’ part of the job.” he continued. “All the forms, the rules and the legislation we have to follow get worse and worse. I just want to concentrate on the front of house, the sales and the marketing.”

“I hate being at a desk. I do my emails, most of them anyway, out on the road these days”

Dave was really getting into his stride now. “That’s where I play my best football. Up front. I’m a striker!” he exclaimed. And he raised his fist as if, for all the world, he had just scored the winning goal in a Cup Final.

“And that’s where I add most value to this business.” He spat the words out as if there was an argument about it.

And it was the most important thing he said.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home