Sunday, May 24, 2009

Reel time

Many people in business are having to look at trying to sell new products and services to existing customers and markets, or existing products and services to new customers and markets. And sometimes I hear them asking wearily whether the end will justify the means.

The dawn had just broken on the lake. It was a crystal fresh morning with not a breath of air, nor the slightest wisp of a cloud. I was intrigued by the battery of four fishing rods all arranged identically and each with an electronic bite alarm that bleeps and flashes when a fish takes. The owner of the kit was apparently asleep in his ‘bivvy’ but the computer screen hanging inside would tell him which rod to attend to.

His modern baitrunner reels allow line to taken with no resistance and the braided hair rig on the hook ensured that most fish would be hooked by the time he got up to reel them in. Even the bait was encased in soluble poly something that allows free offerings to be found by the unsuspecting fish.

By the time I packed up it had been a magical spring morning with a pair of kingfishers hurtling across the water with their express train whistles, herons fishing in the margins and the sound of the near extinct cuckoo calling from a distant copse.

The man with the technology caught five glorious olive green tench whilst I had caught nothing. Driving back across the park I wondered whether I need to ‘up my game’ in line with this new knowledge world. Or do I carry on fishing with much of the same kit I had fifty years ago. The technology question and the answer is absolutely 100% clear for every single one of us in business.

A hobby however is different.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home