Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Getting to know you

It is a paradox but the longer we spend developing relationships in business, then the better the quality of referral work that results from it. Some say that you have to ‘touch’ someone seven times before a meaningful business relationship develops.
Last year my speaking mentor said to me “You‘ve been working with many of your clients for twenty years so why don’t you ask them to refer you as a keynote speaker to their Trade Associations?” So in the following couple of weeks I put that question to the MD of a brewery, an optometry practice, a 163 year old hardware store and a leisure park.
All four MD’s agreed to contact their Trade Association on my behalf; all four Trade Associations were happy for me to approach them and all four have booked me as the keynote speaker for their next convention.
The lesson for me is that although everything in this global knowledge world seems to be moving faster, whether it is the product and service life cycle or technology itself, some things are moving at exactly the same speed that they have always done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home