Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Getting lucky

I wonder how much it is that luck plays in successful leadership at the top of organisations.

I was walking along the banks of the beautiful River Wye near my home in Herefordshire a couple of days ago. There were strong gusts of wind whipping the rising river into foam on the surface but that‘s how the weather has been recently.

A little while later I returned along the same bank side route only to find a one hundred foot poplar tree fallen across my path. Inspection revealed that the entire central root system was rotten and that the only thing that had been holding it up was a few peripheral shoots.

I’m glad I missed the fall. Some people get lucky in a gale others are not so lucky. I wonder if the winds of change affect organisations in a similar way?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home