Thursday, December 28, 2006

Culture shock

One Monday morning I was waiting in reception for Managing Director Dave to arrive for our 0900 appointment. As I was sitting there various members of staff were busy preparing for the week ahead.

Dave eventually strode in, eyes everywhere but nowhere. He’d clearly clocked me because I picked up his non-verbal call, a nod of the head for me to follow him upstairs to his office.

As we passed reception, Jill said good morning and passed Dave a pile of opened post which he took without a word. As we walked through the main office several people said ‘Good Morning Dave’ but he was flicking through the mail as we walked and affected not to notice.

On the climb up to his office he bumped into a young female member of staff because he was reading a letter but he still said nothing by way of apology. When we got to his office Dave opened the door and someone was studying a computer print out. Dave’s first words of the morning were “What are you doing in here?”

When we were alone together I asked Dave if that is the way he normally greets his staff. His reply was memorable.

“I’ve had a bad weekend”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home