Monday, August 22, 2011

Fishes and wishes

A holiday break is a great time to review one’s life, to think about the things that are working for you and the things that could be better. For many of us it is that often elusive balance between work, family, hobbies and community.
I was on a lake recently and fished hard for six hours without seeing or hearing a solitary fish. I consoled myself with the thought that next day I had been invited to fish a well stocked commercial fishery. That day was spent catching or dropping fish of all shapes, colours and sizes on every single cast for the entire visit.
On reflection I am not sure which was the least pleasant experience – having too little, or having too much.
I meet business people all the time that want to set themselves extremely ambitious Bull’s Eyes. Often it is the older ones that have this irresistible urge to turn a lifetime of hard work into a more tangible and evident symbol of success. A chap in his sixties told me “I’ve always dreamed of driving the grandchildren round town in a Rolls Royce.”
When we do not have enough it is not a good place to be. But there is often a high price to pay for having more than enough. And is it worth it?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home