Sunday, October 17, 2010

Dad, can I buy you a pint?

Preparing the next generation for the challenging world of work is not always easy and obstacles can arise from the most surprising of sources.

My boy is in his second year at the local sixth form that is ranked about fourth in the UK. I imagine this ranking is due in no small measure to the A level grades it achieves.

A few weeks ago, at around the time plenty of students were visiting universities around the country, Ali had the chance to work on a Game Fair show with his Saturday employer. This meant camping out for three nights, loading and unloading a lorry, (twice) preparing the stand, dealing with the public, handling cash and so on.
On Monday morning I received a call from the college wanting to know where he was on Friday. I prevaricated for a minute or two but the voice on the other end was fairly insistent so I told the college exactly what Ali was doing over weekend.

The female caller was not impressed, so I added that there are plenty of young people up and down the country with a fistful of grade ‘A’ A levels and a degree to match – but they don’t have any work. I reassured her that the next time an excellent work experience opportunity arises we will be advising him to take it.

Ali will still get his grades next Spring, but most importantly, having turned 18 by then he will be able to turn to me and say, “Dad, can I buy you a pint?”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home