Friday, October 08, 2010

Blackbirds and lobworms

An American sage said to me at the convention in San Diego “I’ll see you next year Tim, and the only difference between us will be the people we have met and the books we have read these last twelve months.”

Sadly Charlie Jones passed away in the intervening period but I am convinced his sentiments are right. When I think of some of the amazing people I have worked with this last twelve months alone. I am not even sure whether I know what impact they have had on my life; sometimes it is latent, bubbling away only to surface some time in future. It’s the same with books and I am indebted to Paul Halsey, MD of Purity Brewing Co. not just for our working relationship, but for introducing me to EATING THE BIG FISH, How Challenger Brands Can Compete Against Brand Leaders. It’s brilliantly written but more importantly, so much of the learning it contains applies to so many businesses.

My job is to eat the book and then regurgitate it in a form and texture that enables particular clients to swallow the bits they need to grow. Blackbirds do the same with great big lobworms.

Make sure you have someone or maybe several people that do the same for crucial knowledge areas of your business.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home