Sunday, April 04, 2010

Mentors and coaches

I meet quite a lot of senior business people that are more or less dissatisfied with their mentor or coach.

One CEO said recently, “I’ve been with her for two years and she doesn’t tell me anything I don’t know already.”

Another female executive said, “It’s useful to get an outside perspective but I don’t feel that it is improving my performance as such.”

And then at an executive group forum in London last week someone said, “Well it hasn’t worked for me so far; in any case how do you go about finding a coach in the first place?”

As someone who has two, the first thing I would say is that it is important to know where you want to be. The more clearly you can describe what you want to be doing in three years time – I call this the Bull’s Eye period – then the easier it is to find someone to help you on the journey. In simple terms you look for someone who is already where you want to be.

Secondly, and this is an apparent contradiction, none of us really know where life’s journey is taking us. Therefore if we are open to personal growth and development, we need to leave a little space for the unexpected encounter, the crazy conversation, the observation from someone else that causes bells to ring in the back of our mind.
That’s why I’m seeing a female practitioner in Harley Street next week.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home