Monday, February 22, 2010

The takeaway


You never know when the stuff you use in your day job may be useful elsewhere.

I was in town collecting a meal on Saturday evening but they were running late.

There were two disruptive couples aged about thirty already waiting on the sofas. They were shouting, singing and one woman was climbing on top of, presumably her partner. The second female said she wanted me to sit next to her and she pulled me down to announce that they were all from Leicester. I said what a nice place it is and that I was working there next week. Her male partner asked what I did.

I replied that I speak on helping businesses so he advised that if I got a proper trade I wouldn’t have to travel round “spouting bullshit”. He started wagging his finger at me and invited me to say just one thing that would help his business.

So I asked his name and what he did. “Painter and decorator.” His wife added that everyone is always very complimentary about his work. I congratulated Nick on this and by now the other couple had calmed down and were listening to the conversation. I asked if he had a card and the second lady said he wouldn’t do anything like that. I asked about a website and the men laughed but one of the females said she had tried to do one for him.

I gave Nick my business card and said that he needed to be able to do the same in this world. They all went quiet and one woman asked “How do you get someone to have the confidence to believe in themselves?”

I said that this was a great question. But just then Sharif arrived with my food.

So I turned to Nick and reminded him that he had asked for one piece of advice. “I want you to listen to what your customers are saying to you, but above all I want you to listen to people that love you and start to take some of their advice.“

I wished them luck and started home. After a few yards someone came running up behind me. It was Nick who put his arms round my shoulders, hugged me to him and said “Thank you.”

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home