Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Mushroom management

I was out on the meadow collecting mushrooms this morning. It’s a big field along the banks of the river Wye here in Hereford England, probably two or three miles in circumference.

Anyway there were four others out too. They had picked up on the muggy, mild and moist weather that mushrooms enjoy so much.

Whether these people are oblivious to the new rules driving the global knowledge economy or whether they just didn’t care about carrying an empty plastic bag around with them I don’t know. The fact is however I was able to return home with a bulging bag of prime field mushrooms whilst they were still wandering round aimlessly.

And then it started to rain.

So how was this achieved? Well the fact is that I have spent some time studying this field and I happen to know where the three or four hotspots actually are. Two of them are right at the far end of the field, farthest away from the houses. So knowledge is always a clue to competitive advantage, but that is not all. I also happened to be jogging, ‘killing two birds with one stone’ if you like.

This meant that no sooner had I bent down to cut some choice fungi, and others seeing me, decided to move in my direction, I was off, away, across the field to the next hot spot. No one wanted to jog after me, and by the time I got to my destination, they couldn’t see me anyway.

So we can all gain competitive advantage in the knowledge economy by first of all acquiring knowledge and secondly knowing how to use it.

Bon appetit.

4 Comments:

At 9/20/2006 4:14 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fascinating, it occurred to me however, are you more likely to slip on a cow pat the faster you run and as you say no one else was prepared to run with you, it’s lonely out there, though I bet you had plenty of people willing to share your fantastic meal of fresh mushrooms.

Great to see you both the other day

 
At 9/21/2006 2:32 AM , Blogger Tim said...

Thanks Jeff. This is very perceptive of you and our recent acquaintance at the Churchwards' party will have only served to remind you of what a finely tuned athlete I have become. Cow pats are frankly little more than a blur these days, as I skim over the turf. It is lonely out there, but it has been a great month for mushrooms and a great nmonth for business too. You and Jackie looked fabulous the other night - I may be looking for a fitness coach to take me to the next level Jeff. Are you expensive?

 
At 9/21/2006 5:15 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll do it for half of your hourly rate, I will charge from the time I leave home though, this should still mean I spend twice as long with you as when you drive to me.

 
At 9/22/2006 3:50 AM , Blogger Tim said...

You're all heart jeff!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home